Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Lost in Russia

MOEX has been closed for the past 2 days.  They are considering to not allow foreigners to sell, and not paying dividends to residents of countries that places sanctions on Russia

Nothing I can do about it, so best to just write off my Russian shares.  Its a 6% loss for my portfolio.

I knew the risks when I bought them.

I'm still looking at:

  • Dividend stocks/REITs to replace Netlink Trust in my portfolio
  • Stuff to buy in the correction I expect between now and June.  Copper.  Oil if it corrects.  Maybe some crypto.
For now, I still think we're in a correction.

5 comments:

meyouandi said...

Respect. Many investors in the same situation still see this as generational buying opportunity.

BlackCat said...

Maybe....if willing to lose it all.

If I was going to buy, I would probably wait for signs of a change in leadership. Putin cannot be president forever, one way or another.

TinyMan said...

Why divest NetLink trust? Isn’t it a stable dividend machine? Has anything fundementally changed?

BlackCat said...

Main reason: I don't know if Netlink Trust can raise prices in times of high inflation. I suspect not...when was the last time you saw your phone bill go up in price? So if we treat it like a bond paying 5%, the yield will be whittled away in times of high inflation.

Second reason: There's a 5-year IMDA pricing review in early 2023. We can see if they take inflation into account. The last price review has a small drop in residential connection fees: https://www.imda.gov.sg/news-and-events/Media-Room/Media-Releases/2017/imda-finalises-review-of-prices-in-netlink-trusts-interconnection-offer

John wilson said...

Maybe....if willing to lose it all.