Monday, January 27, 2020

Sold some stocks

Last week I sold:
  • DKSH.  Too small an amount to keep track of.
  • Call options on an Italian bank.  They had been doing well, but dropped back down due to the Italian election
Made a negligible profit.

Last night, I sold:
  • Rolls Royce (RYCEY).  Big loss of around USD 8K on this.  This has been my worst position, because of the size of the loss and the time holding it.  My mistake was buying it based on earnings 5 years ago, where I did not realize how bad the cashflows were.  Operationally, cashflows have since recovered, but the current valuation is fair - not cheap - even at 20% below my purchase price.  I sold now due to the Wuhan Virus.  China's ban on international travel groups will hurt Engine Flying Hours if it continues.  And if the virus spreads (likely), I think people will be reluctant to fly, even in US/Europe.
  • Sold some small positions in oil stocks.  China's slowing economy will affect oil.
Normally I would wait for a rebound day to sell.  But I think the flu will get worse before it gets better, and the market may just be starting to price it in.

Am waiting for the chance to buy China/HKEX stocks.  If he virus peaks in April/May, when should I buy?  Got plenty of time to think about it.

No comments: