Friday, July 16, 2021

Why I want to buy Gold

 Gold may have stopped falling:


In the coming years, I expect periods of high inflation like in the 40's or 70's.  Gold serves as a decent inflation hedge, even if its not a great one:


In the coming quarters, I expect a lower q-on-q growth rate.  Gold does well when growth slows.  One caveat is that even through the growth rate should be slower, GDP growth itself should still be high (mid-to-hight single digits).

In the next few months I think there's a good chance of a market correction.  When market exuberance hits slowing growth.  Think it'll be a small correction like Dec 2018, not a crash like 2020.  Gold hedged against past market corrections well.  I put the chances of a correction this quarter around 50:50.

Gold is the best bet for me now.  Copper may be a better inflation hedge long term, but does badly with slowing growth.  Gold miners will go up more than gold over several quarters, but won't hedge against a correction.  So just hold the shiny yellow stuff paper.

I bought a small 2% position nought during last month's shakeout.  Right now its hard to buy more, its always overbought.  Got a feeling it won't be oversold for a while.

Lots of reasons to buy it.  No reasons not to.  This is my only high conviction trading/investment idea now.

No comments: