Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Interactive Brokers Margin (Quick Notes)

I've been using IB's margin lending more and more.  Quick notes on how to check the margin requirements.  Because there are too many numbers and I forget.

(Assuming you only trade stocks) To see current margin requirements, in TWS: Account --> Account Window.

There's only 3 numbers I care about:


The key number is "Current Excess Liquidity".  If my account drops by that amount ($214,804), which is  50.5% (of the Net Liquidation Value), then I'm fucked.  IB can force sell my positions.

When putting on a trade, you can check the margin.  Under "advanced", there's "check margin":


This trade would add $15,660 to to my maintenance margin, deducting the same amount from my Current Excess Liquidity.

IB can sometimes change the margin requirements, have to keep a lookout for this.  They last did it during the US election.  

IB has a series of videos explaining margin.



No comments: