My best bet is to wait for the next bear marker or recession, when I can easily get a 50-100% gain within a few years with less risk. I am comfortable going against the crowd. Wait for:
- Newspaper says recession and job loss.
- Stocks fallen 50% from previous highs
- Revenues have fallen for 2 or 3 quarters, PEs become compressed.
Next time, remember to:
- Buy and hold. Bull markets last a lot longer that expected, and its painful not to participate. Don't know when/if I'd sell.
- Beware the market taking off too fast (e.g.: Mar 09, or after the AFC).... Need a simple criteria to catch this and speed up my buying.
- Save enough for a meaningful stake.
- Research and track enough SGX companies (aim for 10) that I would be comfortable buying when things are going to hell..